Friday, January 21, 2011

all things chanel

style is so subjective.  i say pick a style according to what you like and be true to your choices.  i have learned that being inspired by others does not make you a follower, it molds you to be open and appreciative to others choices and shining moments.  it helps you learn from their fashion mistakes and how not make your own. style is public.  style is a choice. style can be changed, warped, distorted and reused. style is green.
     
I love how she paired the denim jacket under the blazer.  The stripes just scream Chanel, well actually just whisper seductively.

Here is a lovely idea from highglossblue.com
The CHANEL logo is so iconic.  Graphic in classic black and white, I'm pretty sure those Cs would look good anywhere.  When I saw this fabulous tray at an antique dealer's open house right before Christmas, I wanted it.  At $250+, I also thought it looked pretty easy to DIY.  And you know what, I sure am glad I gave it a shot because I'm loving all the possibilities this little DIY process opens up.  2011 is all about possibility!  So in honor of the new year, here are the steps-
So I picked up a black lacquer tray for $10 at Target.  Then I Google imaged the Chanel logo and traced it directly from my mom's monitor.  I work from a 12" laptop which is a little smaller than I wanted the image. If you do too, just blow the image up after you trace it.
Using an Exacto knife, I cut out the logo.  Because I was at my parents' house, NYTimes magazine stood in for my cutting mat. 
Using the cut out as a stencil, I traced the image onto Frisket Film, a low tack contact paper.  The Frisket Film prevents any paint bleed out and gave my letters a pretty clean edge.
Last, I smoothed my Frisket Film over my Target tray making sure to get out any wrinkles where paint might seep out.  I taped newsprint print around the logo to cover up any exposed surface area and gave the tray a few quick coats of white spray paint.  I used Krylon Fusion for Plastic in a satin finish and let each coat dry for about 10 minutes each.
After letting the paint dry for about 2 hours (long enough for it to firm up, but short enough so it doesn't fully cure and stick to the Frisket Film), I pulled back the film and VOILA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment